Thompson and Northern Manitoba have a wide variety of modern amenities and activities sure to please any visitor. Here are some of the highlights and frequently asked questions:
Thompson has many fine accommodation options to choose from. Rooms are often at a premium during Nickel Days so we recommend you book early.
- Best Western Hotel
- Burntwood Hotel
- Days Inn & Suites
- Lakeview Hotel
- Meridian Hotel
- Mystery Lake Hotel
- Paint Lake Marina (Cabin’s)
- Quality Inn
- Sasagiu Rapids Lodge
- McCreedy Campground
- (5 minutes north of Thompson)
- Sasagui Rapids
- (40 minutes south of Thompson)
- Paint Lake Provincial Park
- (20 minutes south of Thompson)
There are many fine restaurants in Thompson to suit all tastes, including:
- Baaco Pizza
- Boston Pizza
- Burntwood Hotel
- Butter Chicken Express
- Chicken Chef
- Chillax World’s Tastiest Food
- Domino’s Pizza
- Lone Wolf Cafe
- Mystery Lake Motor Hotel
- Northern Inn
- Pizza Hut
- Pub 55
- Robins Donuts & Deli
- Santa Maria Pizza
- (Tweeted by Theo Fleury March 7 2015: ‘Went to the best little pizza joint in the north. Santa Maria Pizza in Thompson Manitoba. Thanks for an awesome pizza!!!!)
- Sasagui Rapids (Thai and Canadian cuisine 40 minutes south)
- Hub of the North
- Tom’s Pizza (Take Out)
- Wong’s Chinese Buffet
- Wonton Place (Take Out)
Thompson and the surrounding area has plenty to see and do year-round. Here are some helpful inks:
- City of Thompson
- Check the City of Thompson’s website for upcoming community events and City information.
- Thompson Golf Course
- The course is renowned for its excellent condition and it’s greens are among the best in the province. Carved out of the rugged northern terrain, the course continues to improve each year. Contact the Thompson Golf Club Pro Shop at (204) – 677-5537 to book a tee off time or for additional information.
- Thompson Spirit Way
- Spirit Way is a 2.5 km walking and biking pathway from the Heritage North Museum to the Miles Hart Bridge. Spirit Way has won 4 awards and has been designated a Manitoba Star Attraction and one of the Top 20 Places to Visit in Manitoba!
- A database for all things tourism in northern Manitoba, be sure to visit it and request a tourism guide!
Q: How long does it take to drive to Thompson?
A: If you are driving from Winnipeg, it takes approximately seven hours. You can leave the south in the morning and be here late in the afternoon.
Q: How long are the days in Thompson in the summer months?
A: We have some of the longest days going in a populated area of Manitoba. It doesn’t get dark until almost 11pm for parts of the summer. This makes for lots of daylight hours to enjoy Nickel Days and explore the local area.
Q: What if I had a breakdown on the road?
A: Generally speaking, there is traffic on the road at all times. If you had a vehicle problem, you can be assured that someone will stop to help. This is just part of the northern tradition of people helping people. We are generally a pretty friendly lot. There is cellular service almost the entire way.